I came across this very useful post by sassybellewares in the etsy forums, and thought I'd share it here.
Within PayPal, you can set up the payment page that buyers see during checkout so that a question is included asking buyers how they found you (or asking a different question). You can then offer 5 responses to choose from (eg browsing etsy, google, facebook or twitter, word of mouth, other).
That information could be extremely valuable in helping you promote your shop more effectively!
Here are the instructions sassybellewares provided:
1) Login to your PayPal account
2) Under "my account" click "profile"
3) Under "selling preferences" click "custom payment pages", then click "options" and go to "merchant service options"
4) Check "add a customer service survey" and fill in the blanks*
5) Make sure you click "SAVE" before you exit
* I used "How did you find SassyBelleWares" for my question. I though using my shop name rather than just "us" or "me" might help them remember my shop better for next time.
. . . . . .
I'm trying it out with my shop- hopefully some buyers will fill it out! I assume the information shows up on the payment notification that sellers receive from PayPal, but I haven't tested it yet.